Ottawa, ON — The Hon. Pierre Poilievre, Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada and the Official Opposition, released the following statement as Parliament rises for the summer:
“After eight years of Justin Trudeau, Canadians are struggling. The costly coalition continues to pour fuel on the inflationary fire with $60 billion in new spending, driving up inflation and interest rates. Justin Trudeau and his coalition partner Jagmeet Singh also continue to ignore the crime and chaos on our streets, letting dangerous, repeat, violent offenders out on bail and funding dangerous narcotics with taxpayer dollars.
“Over the past few months, Conservatives have been fighting hard in Parliament to hold the coalition accountable and bring home common sense. We have:
- Highlighted the inflationary spending in the Liberal-NDP budget and demanded the coalition provide a path to balance to bring down inflation and interest rates. This included the longest-ever speech in the House of Commons by a Leader of the Opposition.
- Tabled legislation to force the Liberals to give violent repeat offenders jail, not bail.
- Forced Trudeau into a humiliating climb-down over Bill C-21, which cynically targeted hunters and Indigenous Canadians rather than criminals.
- Protected victims’ rights by tabling legislation to keep serial killers and mass murderers like Paul Bernardo in maximum-security prison.
- Demanded an end to the Liberals’ tax-funded narcotics program, to put money into treatment that brings home our loved ones drug-free.
- Exposed Trudeau’s dangerous censorship bill C-11.
- Offered solutions to fix Canada’s housing crisis by firing the gatekeepers and forcing municipalities to allow for more & faster homebuilding.
- Forced the government to stop deportations and listen to international students who were scammed by shady consultants.
- Made Trudeau answer for his second carbon tax that will hike the cost of groceries & gas for all Canadians.
- Supported our farmers by removing the Trudeau carbon tax from farm fuels.
- Protected working Canadians by ensuring their pensions are protected in the event of a company declaring bankruptcy.
- Defended our democracy from Beijing’s interference. We forced the prime minister’s Chief of Staff, Katie Telford, to testify at committee, as well as requiring David Johnston and Alexandre Trudeau to testify on the Beijing-funded Trudeau Foundation.
“The work is just getting started, but the Common Sense Conservatives will never stop fighting for Canadians. Let’s bring it home.”